Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Sadness

When Brandon left, part of my heart left with him. How can one feel such conflicted feelings all at the same time? Such extreme joy and pride and total heart wrenching sadness all at once, until you feel like your heart is going to explode. I see missionaries at Wal-Mart almost every day. When he first left, and I'd see them I would get teary-eyed and my heart would ache. Slowly I started bursting with pride when I'd see them and sometimes shed a tear of joy at the thought of how awesome he was doing. My heart would flutter every time no matter what. For the last two weeks I'm back to the teary-eyed stage and my heart tugs a little. Well, it kind of tugs a lot. I wonder how my son will adjust back into the real world again and will his decision always haunt him? Will his heart-strings tug every time he sees missionaries, for the rest of his life? Or will it be okay? I think it will be okay. I will always remind him that he served an honorable mission, though not as long as some, and his mission will continue for the rest of his life. My heart is so full right now, as I'm sobbing, anticipating putting my arms around him in 3 days. I'm so happy at the thought of seeing him again, yet so sad for what he is giving up. Ouch. I don't know if my heart can handle this again, so soon. It was just barely starting to heal from him leaving. I will always get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see the missionaries because my son was one, a really good one, and he will always be one. My family will be complete again, and sadly, I'm happy...














7 comments:

Anaise said...

You'd think we moms would get used to being constantly pulled in multiple directions emotionally--but we don't! I hope your family is joyfully reunited, and I think that the unconditional love you have for your oldest boy will only be a blessing to him.

. said...

I have been thinking of you nonstop this week and praying for you and Brandon. If nothing else, I'm so happy you'll all get to be together again!

Stacy Reagh said...

You are such a wonderful mother Shar!!!! I can't imagine how you feel right now as my oldest still has a few years, but you are all in my prayers!!! I'm excited for you to all be together again. We just don't know what Heavenly Father has in store for us. Love you!!!!!

Kylee said...

I love your family pic Shar! And I love you :)

Cade said...

Now you have one more in rotation to mow the lawn!

AD said...

What a heartfelt and thoughtful post. Loved it. I'm most happy that you've decided to make the most of the situation and feel happy. Such a good decision.
"Most people are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -Abe Lincoln

Our Family said...

I loved this post sis. So great. Brandon is so lucky to have you. I'm VERY excited to see him too. Can you believe it's tomorrow?! WOW!

About Me

Bluffdale, UT, United States
I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I've been married to Jeff - the love of my life, for almost 21 years. I'm the mother of four beautiful and amazing kids. Brandon is 19, Elise is 17, Erika is 14 and Bryce is 11. I love to spend time with my family, go to movies, play games, go to movies, go out to eat and go to movies. I love diet cherry coke, music, especially soft rock and religious music. I hate grumpy people, bad service and other people's hands in bags of potato chips. I love to go on Cruises...Oh, and I really love to go to movies!

My cute hubby!

Brandon

Elise

Erika

Bryce

Just a typical night out on the town