Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What's A Mother to do Part 2....

Well, if you recall, the first letter I got from Brandon when he had just settled into Alabama was pretty scary. He assured me not to worry because he "... would be killed before he was raped so it's all good..." I didn't think that was very funny and have worried about his safety as he has been serving in that same area since Nov. and not been transferred yet. As time has gone on I have learned not to worry as much and felt at peace that he is in the Lord's hands. When I blogged about getting his disturbing letter, I called it; 'What's a Mother to do?' Well, I am sad to announce that my sweet Missionary boy will be returning home from his mission Thursday the 19th of March. I am not exactly sure why, and I have only known for about a week, but from what I understand it is because he wants to and is not being sent home. So I ask you once again, "What's a mother to do?" I'm serious. Somebody please tell me. I know without a shadow of doubt that he was happy and loved being on a mission. He loves the people and they love him. He had a baptism a couple weeks ago and has another one scheduled this weekend. I don't know if he is just really homesick or what, but I do know that he has put alot of thought into this decision because he knows what he faces in coming home. We have all tried to encourage him to stay, via e-mail, but I guess his mind is made up. Now I get to worry once again about his safety in this crazy world and his well-being in this economy. He doesn't even have a car and I had given up my Sequoia to pay for his mission. We're trying to figure out how to pay for Elise to go to college and there is no way I can pay for him too. Anyway, sorry, I'm kind of thinking out loud here. All I know is that we love him and are proud of him for the things he has accomplished in these 5 months, and will welcome him home with open arms. I am thankful he has had this opportunity, as short as it may have been, he learned a great deal and grew and changed and will be a better person for it. His patriarchal blessing says that he "...will fulfill a great and glorious mission here on earth..." so I guess his misssion will be finished here at home. Who knows what the Lord has planned for him. I do know that he is destined for greatness. This is a picture of him the morning we left him at the MTC. I can't help but wonder what is going through his head. Thank you so much everyone for all your love and support. Your prayers will still be needed and appreciated. I have cried so much this last week that I'm all dried up.

11 comments:

AD said...

Oh Sharla, I'm so sorry! I know how excited you were for him to go, and I also know how blessed he is to have you for his mom when he gets home. Of course you will welcome him with open arms and he will know he is valued and adored regardless. One of my dear friends whose husband is a bishop just sent her son on a mission ( and I kid you not it was to Alabama) and he came home after 3 days in the MTC. When I talked to her she said something I will never forget: this is his decision and it is not a reflection on me. Brandon has been raised with two strong parents and he has been taught well. He can make his own decisions and no one can or should judge him in any way because no one else has walked in his shoes. He served well and even if it is shorter than he planned, he should take joy in that. I hope you will have peace and comfort. He is a wonderful young man and a hard worker so I know he will do his part to help with the finances when he gets home. I'll be praying for all of you.

Karina said...

Perhaps his coming home is really actually bold, brave, and just the right thing to do right now.

Be at peace and just love. I try to live by this: "The Universe is as exactly as it should be."

Thanks for sharing with us, Sharla.

Camille said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anaise said...

I don't have anything to say . . . just loving feelings and hope that all will be well in the end.

Camille said...

Shar, I was too bold in my last comment so I deleted it. this just breaks my heart for you and for him. Just know we're all praying for him right now. And I'll include this from my last comment:
As a mother, I guess what you are to do is love him, love him, love him, and pray pray pray he'll change his mind.

Reggs said...

Shar, I am so sorry to hear your news. I am sorry you have to bear this burden.
I know that you will make it through, and you will know in your heart what to do.
Love you so much, we'll be praying for you.

Diane said...

I'm so proud of you for sharing this with the family. One thing I have learned is that all of us love one another in this big old Pearson family and when we share our problems there are many many prayers that go out daily. To me this is a great comfort. There are no answers to situations like this. Just love. Brandon is a wonderful boy and always has been. You are blessed to have him for a son. We are praying for him and supporting your family in this trial. I hope you feel our prayers.

. said...

I'm sorry Sharla! It is such a blessing that you are there with your heart and your arms wide open as he goes through such a difficult time. He is lucky to have you. We will all pray for him and for your family. Love to you!

Our Family said...

Wow. What awesome cousins, friends and Aunt we have! I loved AD's comment and second it 100%. I know your heart and so does he and that is what is good about this. Brandon needs to come home now for Brandon, and he knows that his mom will be there for him so that he can. That is so much better than him staying just because he's afraid to come home. I'm excited to see him, and am so proud of the time he spent serving our Heavenly Father. He will grow so much from it and already has.

Love you!
Sis.

Anonymous said...

I love my Nephew Brandon.

-Mark

Anonymous said...

I think everybody agrees we shouldn't judge Brandon, but what do you think you are doing when you say, "I'm so sorry Sharla!"

By expressing grief over Brandon's decision you are suggesting he made the wrong decision. That's judging him.

I don't know the reasons for Brandon's decision and I don't think anyone else did when they posted their comments on this blog.

All this sympathy without knowing the details is disgusting. If I were Brandon I'd be pissed.

About Me

Bluffdale, UT, United States
I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I've been married to Jeff - the love of my life, for almost 21 years. I'm the mother of four beautiful and amazing kids. Brandon is 19, Elise is 17, Erika is 14 and Bryce is 11. I love to spend time with my family, go to movies, play games, go to movies, go out to eat and go to movies. I love diet cherry coke, music, especially soft rock and religious music. I hate grumpy people, bad service and other people's hands in bags of potato chips. I love to go on Cruises...Oh, and I really love to go to movies!

My cute hubby!

Brandon

Elise

Erika

Bryce

Just a typical night out on the town