Sunday, December 7, 2008

WHATS A MOTHER TO DO?

Well, Brandon has been in Alabama now since November 12th and I haven't been able to blog much about it because my mom has been here helping me de-junk and de-clutter my house, trying to get it ready to sell. Can I just say that she is truly an Angel in disguise because of all the help she has been. And here she is supposed to be taking it easy, oh the guilt.
The first e-mail we got from Brandon was quite disturbing to me. He said that he's in such a dangerous area that they can't go tracting, they're just doing media referrals. The neighboring zip code has the number 1 murder rate in the nation. Uh hum.. (???????????) They did go to an appointment of an investigator and had to run to their car after hearing gun shots. There are gun shots in the window of the church they attend, but don't worry, their just random cross-fire shots, not specifically aimed there...(? and thats supposed to make me feel better) He spoke of rumors of sorority girls drugging missonaries and having their way with them in order to get in to the sorority. In his exact words, "So don't worry, I'll be killed before I'm raped." HELLO!!! What am I supposed to do? I wanted to jump on the next plane and go drag him out of there. But he is doing so well, just loving every minute of it, and he and his companion, who is also from Utah, get along so well. I am trying not to worry too much. He's on the Lord's errand. Heavenly Father will bless him and protect him.

6 comments:

Cade said...

I'm going to Alabama tomorrow you want me to bring him back? Your selling your house? Where you moving too?

Anaise said...

Scott and his companion had to spend time hiding in their apartment because Venezuela had a couple of military coups while he was there. He used to send pix home to his mom of smoke bombs and armed radicals outside his apartment window. Apparently missionaries enjoy doing this to their mothers.

Hang in there. Brandon sounds happy in the service of the Lord. I can say that because he's not my kid, but I really do wish you peace and joy in your son's dedication.

. said...

Wait...didn't he break Mission Rule #1 by telling his momma the details of the dangerous area he is serving in? I don't know...Matt tells me he never told his mom how he was held up at gunpoint and robbed. I, for one, would rather not know! Yikes!
Anyway, I'm so happy for him (and you) that things are going so well. I'm sure you are all reaping the blessings from his service!

gardnerfam said...

Sharla, How are you woman? I wish you would call me and we could chat. I am sure you are so busy though. I would love to help out if we weren't so far apart. Your son is a smart boy and will do great. I am sure that does not comfort the mamma though. I am with cade have him pick him up and just move him to a little better area. Just kidding. He will be blessed as will you for doing the lords work. I love you.
Love Michele

AD said...

This would make me totally FREAK!

Okay, okay, you're right to trust that he'll be fine...but man oh man!

So glad your mom has been with you. Nothing like a mom's help when it comes to things like moving...I hope you will tell us all what the plan is!

The Riding's said...

Hey Aunt Sharla, It is me Courtney. I found your blog from Melanie's blog. I just wanted to say I give you my blog address.
http://courtneyriding.blogspot.com/
Courtney

About Me

Bluffdale, UT, United States
I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I've been married to Jeff - the love of my life, for almost 21 years. I'm the mother of four beautiful and amazing kids. Brandon is 19, Elise is 17, Erika is 14 and Bryce is 11. I love to spend time with my family, go to movies, play games, go to movies, go out to eat and go to movies. I love diet cherry coke, music, especially soft rock and religious music. I hate grumpy people, bad service and other people's hands in bags of potato chips. I love to go on Cruises...Oh, and I really love to go to movies!

My cute hubby!

Brandon

Elise

Erika

Bryce

Just a typical night out on the town