Thursday, April 10, 2008

Another Day, Another Movie

****"Miss Pettigrew lives for a Day" rated Pg-13. My cute mommy flew in for my birthday and graced me with her presence at two movies! What a trouper! We saw this and '21'. Miss P is kind of an artsy movie. Set in 1939, Amy Adams plays an aspiring actress that's kind of a floozy and the amazing Francis McDermand is Miss Pettigrew, a poor governess who's unjustly fired. By a twist of fate, and her stepping out of her comfort zone, she lands a job as Ms Adams' social secretary, and the events that take place are just funny, clever, and amazing happenstance! Melanie and Jeff were with us too and everyone liked it. I really liked it and think that this is definitely one for my cousin AD :) Jeff gives it 2 diamonds (it's kind of chick-flicky) I'm giving it 3.







****"Nim's Island" rated PG. Abagail Breslin, Jodie Foster, and my favorite, Gerard Butler(from P.S. I love you) Abagail and Gerard are father and daughter who have lived on a secluded Island her whole life. They get seperated and while he's lost at sea, she is alone and scared on the island. She calls upon the help of Jodie who plays a germaphobic, writer who doesn't dare leave her apartment. It's nice to see Jodie in such a fun, sweet role. It's just an all around fun, feel-good movie with a really cute gecko? or lizard? and a seal? or walrus? Um... that's not very informative, I guess I need to brush up on my reptiles and mammals! Anyway, once again I was pleasantly surprised, and Erika, who, for some reason, is like pulling teeth to get her to go to a movie, (Who's child is this?!!!) really liked it, and so did Bryce! I'm giving it 3 diamonds.







****"Stop Loss" rated R. Ryan Phillipe doesn't usually do anything for me, but I really liked him in this. For those of you who don't know what 'Stop Loss' means, (like I didn't before I saw this) It's actually a term that's used in the military when a soldier is due for discharge, and "the higher-ups" decide that they're too valuable to let go and require them to complete another tour, against their wishes. It was very interesting but sad. At the end they give you the statistics of how many are stop lossed and all the details. I guess people are trying to eliminate this practice and are fighting it big time. It didn't have any skin, but of course, swear words and violence, which was actually hard to take in the beginning. Jeff gives it 2 1/2 diamonds, I give it 2.







****"Super hero Movie" rated PG-13. Okay, who let me go see this one?! I swore off this kind of movie, remember! Stupid satire, mimicking and making fun of all super hero movies... Please. give me a break. Some of you might like it, it wasn't as bad as 'Meet the Spartans', so Jeff and I are giving it 1 diamond.








****"Ruins" rated R. A bunch of no-names get quarantined to the top of a pyramid-type thing and have to try to survive the elements and a mysterious nemisus that I wont give away. It's an interesting concept but gets too corny and, frankly, too gross. It has an unneccesary quick nude scene and a disturbing murder...well a couple of them, but this one in particular just seems really unneccesary. Jeff and I are both giving it a lump of coal.

5 comments:

Diane said...

I'm trying to figure out why you said you were working at Walmart in Mel's blog??????

Kandis said...

It's good to have you back Shar, it's good to have you back! (With the movie updates, that is). I've been outta the loop for a while so tell Elise her hair is ADORABLE and she looks smokin' hot! After april 15th I want to go see a movie with you and Mel!!!!

AD said...

I'll admit I dragged Jon to "Miss Pettigrew" and wish I hadn't...not hadn't seen it but not seen it with him. He was tortured through the first half of the movie, and I could sense his pain, which colored my experience. I really liked it by the end, but sometimes I got tired of Amy Adams' constantly sucking in air, just like she did in Enchanted. In Enchanted it was adorable; in this one it was annoying. But I loved Frances McDormand's part and overall thought it was an entertaining movie.

I didn't take Jon to 21 because I had been forewarned about the strip club scenes. I loved the film but would not have liked it had Jon been sitting beside me in those scenes. Ugh. So unnecessary but I guess they showed how the gambling thing breeds such seediness and sordidness....

Erika Bassett said...

Shar, sorry I haven't commented in the longest time!!! In fact, I've been wanting to comment ever since I ran into you and Jeff at the theatre while I was on that date. That was so fun to see you guys!!! You're family always looks so great and I hope you're doing well. Not that it matters any more but I really did like that Jewish movie that was cheaply put together and now I don't remember the name of it! How sad is it that first of all that I have cheap taste and second that I don't remember the title although I liked it. Oh well, it's been fun catching up and reading your blogs. Thanks for keeping us updated on the movies.

Our Family said...

um. I miss you. Don't you think it's time to put in your two week notice? okay good. me too.

About Me

Bluffdale, UT, United States
I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I've been married to Jeff - the love of my life, for almost 21 years. I'm the mother of four beautiful and amazing kids. Brandon is 19, Elise is 17, Erika is 14 and Bryce is 11. I love to spend time with my family, go to movies, play games, go to movies, go out to eat and go to movies. I love diet cherry coke, music, especially soft rock and religious music. I hate grumpy people, bad service and other people's hands in bags of potato chips. I love to go on Cruises...Oh, and I really love to go to movies!

My cute hubby!

Brandon

Elise

Erika

Bryce

Just a typical night out on the town