Sunday, April 26, 2009

OPEN MOUTH, INSERT FOOT....


I think we all have learned the hard way that you don't assume a woman is pregnant and ask her when she is due. Well, here's another life lesson for you. The other day, two older-ish women came to the jewelry counter in search of the perfect gold band. At first I thought it was for one of them, but of course, didn't say anything like "so how long have you two been together?" even though I was thinking it. As time went on I caught on that it was a gift for someone else. They deliberated for quite some time, "I like this one, it's wider, I think she'll like this one, does she want yellow gold or white gold? thicker band or thinner?" They were close to deciding when I piped up and said; "Well, if she doesn't like it she can always bring it back and trade it for what she wants." To which they both replied in unison; "Oh, she's dead." 'Oh, I'm so sorry..'. Yeah, it was for their mother who had just passed away, to be burried in. Hello! what do you say to that?!!!! So, learn from my gastly experience; don't ever assume....ANYTHING...

4 comments:

Diane said...

That is so funny and so true. Today one just needs to keep the old mouth closed to keep out of trouble!

Anaise said...

Oh, I feel your pain! That had to be terribly awkward--but totally understandable! How on earth were you to know it was for a dead woman?!?!?! They were talking about her as if she were alive.

I spend so much energy not asking questions that could turn out to be awkward that I seem totally uncurious about people--I don't "make conversation" well.

Funny, funny story. :)

Reggs said...

But consider all the phrases you COULD HAVE said, but didn't! Like...
-how long have you two been boinking?
-what's it like being lesbo's in Utah?
-I have a ring that is specifically for women on women action!

I think what you said was HARMLESS in comparison. :D

Lisa said...

BAHAHAHAHA! That's hilarious! I'm still sitting here with my mouth open that people are buying their dead mother a wedding ring to be buried in! What? Was the husband who died earlier going to be checking for it on the other side? Here's some news for you ladies......she doesnt need it on the other side! Besides......jewelry doesn't travel well to that destination. It tends to stay put.......buried six feet underground.

About Me

Bluffdale, UT, United States
I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I've been married to Jeff - the love of my life, for almost 21 years. I'm the mother of four beautiful and amazing kids. Brandon is 19, Elise is 17, Erika is 14 and Bryce is 11. I love to spend time with my family, go to movies, play games, go to movies, go out to eat and go to movies. I love diet cherry coke, music, especially soft rock and religious music. I hate grumpy people, bad service and other people's hands in bags of potato chips. I love to go on Cruises...Oh, and I really love to go to movies!

My cute hubby!

Brandon

Elise

Erika

Bryce

Just a typical night out on the town