Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The girls made it!

They are home safe and sound from the Pioneer Trek, much to Erika's surprise. She was convinced that she was going to die. Oh if only I could have video taped her the days leading up to it. "I don't want to go! I'm too young to die!" 'You are not gonna die!' "Yes I am!" [a different day] "Why are you making me go?!, I don't WANT to go! I don't understand, that's SO STUPID" [a different day] "I'm gonna break my ankle so I can't go"And on and on and on.... for the week leading up to it. There were also notes stuck everywhere around the house that said simply; "I'm not going, you can't make me" Now for those of you who know me well know my philosophy with my kids; 'If they feel really passionate about something, well then by darn I don't stand in their way and do everything in my power to make it happen'. So knowing that this is how Erika has grown up her 14 years, you can imagine her shock when I didn't back down and stood my ground. I am thrilled to report that she had a great time and said that she would go again. But man were they sore and sunburnt! They walked a total of 33 and 3/4's miles. The bishop said that was like walking from Bluffdale to the mouth of Parley's canyon. Both girls were extremely touched by the 'womans pull' which is when all the men went away to fight the war with Mexico and the women had to pull the wagons 1 and 1/2 miles up a really steep hill by themselves. It was extremely difficult and when they reached the top they all cried tears of pain and triumph. The girls were in different families, but were together a lot and actually bonded and helped each other along the way. The people in the ward that know my girls don't like each other, said they wished so bad that I could have been there to see it.... So do I :) Elise spoke the next day in sacrament meeting about her experiences, along with 3 other youth and 4 of the ma's and pa's. She said her favorite funny moment was when everyone was yelling "hole, middle!" numerous times and then they started yelling "Erika! hole middle! Erika!..." to which Erika finally turned around to say 'what' but didn't get the word out before she disappeared. Everyone saw her fall down said hole... But, she came out alive!






4 comments:

Camille said...

this is so precious. I wish I could have done one of these when I was a youth. Your girls will never forget it.

I gotta know, why don't they get along?!!!!

Joel said...

Shar, it is so NICE to have you back. I felt like I had lost a cheerleader when you stopped blogging, so it was a nice surprise to wander around your blog and see it had been updated. Welcome back and keep us posted. BTW, we are hoping to attend the Church of Shar tonight!

AD said...

I spent a couple of days recently sewing Pioneer skirts, aprons and bonnets for my girls to go on our stake trek. They were excited but unsure. They got to the trek site and it was a muddy mess and the whole thing was cancelled. Ugh and double ugh. Both my girls have always wanted to do this. I was BUMMED. I'm glad your girls survived and learned what you had hoped!

Anonymous said...

The "Hole!! Middle!!" Story was GREAT. I could see that happening in some sort of comedy show. It sounds just too funny and too perfect.

I'm glad you are back and your mother is doing better. And It's totally fine that you couldn't come to my shower. You were with family, for crying out loud. We should totally have lunch again sometime with everyone like we did that one day. Party at the Carl's Junior!

About Me

Bluffdale, UT, United States
I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I've been married to Jeff - the love of my life, for almost 21 years. I'm the mother of four beautiful and amazing kids. Brandon is 19, Elise is 17, Erika is 14 and Bryce is 11. I love to spend time with my family, go to movies, play games, go to movies, go out to eat and go to movies. I love diet cherry coke, music, especially soft rock and religious music. I hate grumpy people, bad service and other people's hands in bags of potato chips. I love to go on Cruises...Oh, and I really love to go to movies!

My cute hubby!

Brandon

Elise

Erika

Bryce

Just a typical night out on the town