Friday, January 18, 2008

Another Day, Another Movie...or six...

****"Bucket List" rated PG -13. Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman together made for some good chemistry. I liked it. Nicholson gets to stay in his own hospital and get a feel for what life is like for a normal, maybe lower class person. It was cool how they brought two totally different men, from extremely different circumstances together facing the same fate. It makes you think about what's really important; being wealthy and alone, or being 'broke' with a loving family...duuuuuh!...Jeff gives it4 diamonds, and so do I.



****"In the Name of the King" rated PG-13. Whoa!!! 2 hrs. 14 min of total confusion and nonsense?! The acting was off, the whole movie was off, like it missed a beat and could never catch up. Ray Liotta was like the "evil wizard" that would never go away, no matter how many times his head was cut off. I didn't like his character at all! Because of his costumes, he was like a reincarnated Liberace' that didn't play the piano. Ha ha, I'm sorry, but that's funny:) Nobody will get that unless they see it or even know who Liberace' was, that kinda dates me. And then, the King is revealed, and it's... Burt Reynolds. Burt Reynolds?! At that moment I thought "Oh, this is a comedy?" But no. It wasn't meant to be. Lots of fighting war scenes that get old and then all of a sudden there are flying ninjas and you wonder, 'where did they come from?' Not sure where they were going with it, I guess they didn't either, Weird. Both Jeff and I are giving it a lump of coal.





****"The Orphanage" rated R. They speak spanish the whole time so there are sub-titles. At first I thought, 'oh great' but it wasn't bad at all. Holy cow!!! This is a scary one! The eerie kind of scary that gets you, not the stupid slasher scary. It totally could have been Pg-13. There was one sub-titled 'F' word, and I guess disturbing images and that's why it was rated R. I would so give this one a chance. I was the most scared I've been in a long time! Jeff gives it 2 1/2 diamonds, I'm giving it 3.





****"Cloverfield" rated PG-13. It's about the college kids that are throwing a going-away party for their friend when a huge "monster" invades the city. Set in New York so it was like a mix between 'The Blair Witch Project' and 9-11 because one of the kids gets it all on video. Totally take a dramamine before going. I just spent 5 days on a cruise and didn't get as motion sick as I did at this movie! I can appreciate what they were trying to do with the whole hand held camera effect but come on!!! Can they hold the camera still just once! It was kinda scary and creepy but mostly annoying. The special effects were pretty good so Jeff gives it 3, I give it 2 1/2




****"Mad Money" rated PG-13. This is a fun, light-hearted one. Seeing Diane Keaton play a janitor is definitely a stretch but that's okay. I thought they were fun together, even though they're all so different. Queen Latifa and Katie Holmes that is. If your one that doesn't like un-realistic movies than you probably wont like this, but I thought it was fun and easy to watch. Jeff gives it 2 1/2 and I give it 3.






****"No Country for Old Men" rated R for violence. Right from the start it was violent and bloody. The bad guy was subtly creepy, which made him even more creepy. One guy stumbles upon a 'deal-gone-bad' in the desert, finds a case with a lot of money, goes back later to help the one surviving guy, but then gets caught and chased for the rest of the movie. The only good thing in this one was Tommy Lee Jones. It was draggy and you will HATE how it ends. Jeff and I both give it 1 1/2 diamonds.




Okay. That was gruelling. Tomorrow I am treating my cousin Kandis to a movie because I always make good on a bet. I have saved 27 Dresses just for her. Hopefully my sis Melanie and Aunt Ellen will be there, and of course my always loyal movie partner, Jeff. If anyone else wants to join us, we'll be at the megaplex 20 at the district at 11:oo a.m. See you there?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sharla I just want you to know that Mike and I always check your movie reviews if we are thinking of a show to see!!! I am glad you went back to this format it is easier to find the reviews!! Thanks for spending the money so we don't have to!! Charlotte and Mike.

Kandis said...

Since you haven't posted a review of 27 Dresses, I will do it....

I gave it 2.5 diamonds. It was a cute story and overall a fun movie!

Okay, I suck at this. I'll leave all future reviews to you!

Diane said...

We saw Bucket List today and I loved it. I wonder if super younger people would like it because they aren't as close to death as Ken and I!!! It's pretty slow moving but I loved every second of it. (The swearing got to me I have to admit.)

Camille said...

How do you afford to go to all these movies?!! Alfer and I only go about once a month (if that) because they're so expensive now. Do you have a cheap theater by you or something?!!!!

How was 27 dresses? I wanted to go see Mad MOney but the reviews were terrribllllle so we didn't go.

About Me

Bluffdale, UT, United States
I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I've been married to Jeff - the love of my life, for almost 21 years. I'm the mother of four beautiful and amazing kids. Brandon is 19, Elise is 17, Erika is 14 and Bryce is 11. I love to spend time with my family, go to movies, play games, go to movies, go out to eat and go to movies. I love diet cherry coke, music, especially soft rock and religious music. I hate grumpy people, bad service and other people's hands in bags of potato chips. I love to go on Cruises...Oh, and I really love to go to movies!

My cute hubby!

Brandon

Elise

Erika

Bryce

Just a typical night out on the town